Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tutorial: Painting "Specters" (acrylic and oil)

WIP shots for my painting "Specters" which was part of my "Tarnished" series for La Luz de Jesus Gallery in 2010.

"Specters" - sketch for a painting about albinism:

*THIS SKETCH SOLD*


Here are process photos from the first time I transferred "Fade/Specters." The window-lightbox method worked well:



After mounting the paper to heavy museum board I sealed it with matte medium, clear gesso, and washes of acrylic: (Background trees also painted in acrylic.)



Layed in some tones and light washes of color and work on the croc:


The start of the oil-painting phase. The richness of oils is working far better in getting all the albinos to still pop despite the overall high-value/low chroma:


More work on the critters:

Birds done:

Touchups on background trees with oil:

And finished!:

JAW Cooper
"Specters"
33"x25" framed (24"x16" image)
oil and acrylic on mounted stonehenge
*SOLD*



"Specters" Detail

4 comments:

  1. Is that a color scheme print out that you have next to the image in some of the photos?
    Also, MORE! We want more JAW "tutorials"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I print out a bunch of swatches for every major painting so I can match my colors right on the paper, it's super useful.

      Delete
  2. cool art

    nice post!
    would u like to follow each other dear?

    http://choccopost.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your questions and comments! I read all of them and try to respond to as many as I can!